HomeAbout us \ Our HistoryAdmissionTour the FacilityAdult Day Health ProgramWells House RehabWellness ProgramActivitiesAdministrator's PageResident EmailWells AuxiliaryEmploymentFor EmployeesContact usDirectionsMemorial Contributions to Wells Nursing HomeWELLS NURSING HOME...EVENTS
About Us

In 1970 Wells Nursing Home was established with a commitment to provide quality care to patients with short or long term nursing needs.
   
Wells Nursing Home is a multi-disciplined skilled nursing facility, which includes a 100 bed, skilled nursing home, Adult Day Health Program and Outpatient Rehab services.  We strive to provide the highest quality of care to the people we serve. We are organized to meet the needs of all who seek our services either for short-term rehabilitative care or extended services.
    
In a safe, warm home-like atmosphere skilled care, hope and encouragement are provided to each resident to the fullest of their physical abilities and whenever possible to return to one’s own home and community.
 
Through a harmonious multi-disciplined approach of caring and love, we strive to meet the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of our residents.
  
We emphasize living despite physical and/or mental infirmities, we strive to prevent further declines and we believe that each person should be treated with dignity and respect.
  
Through the diligent efforts of a highly motivated Board of Directors, a devoted staff, active Wells House Auxiliary, concerned families and an interested community, we will fulfill these objectives.

wellsestate3.jpg
The David A. Wells Estate is pictured here.

wellsestate2.jpg
Another view of the old Wells Estate which was torn down in 1954.

 

Our History
Johnstown Hospital/Wells Nursing Home

The evolution of the Johnstown Hospital and eventually Wells Nursing Home began with a vision from a resident of the area named James A. Northrup. He was a local glove manufacturer, who after both he and his wife died, wanted his estate to be used to build a hospital in Johnstown.
     
In 1945 the Wells family descendents were asked to consider donating the old Wells home and property for use as a Johnstown hospital. The last Wells family descendent agreed to donate the property and the Johnstown Hospital was born. The Northrup monies were used for equipment and building changes.
   
In November of 1966, the Johnstown Hospital Directors started an investigation to possibly establish an Extended Care Facility on the hospital grounds. This resulted in the Wells Nursing Home Corporation being formed in April of 1967.
    
In April of 1969 a contract was awarded for building the present Wells House. In 1970 The Wells House opened with a 40 bed unit and as an extended care facility to accommodate hospital patients in need of skilled nursing care.
    
20 more beds were added between 1976 to1983. This would bring the number of beds up to 60, with kitchen facilities added. Up to this point many of the support services were provided by the hospital on a shared basis with the nursing home.
  
The next five years were marked by state mandates and a proximity to a much larger Nathan Littauer Hospital, which contributed to the closure of the Johnstown Hospital.
    
During this time however Wells Nursing Home continued to grow and get stronger as the years progressed. In 1995 Wells House expanded its Physical Therapy Department to accommodate a large out-patient population and established an Adult Medical Day Care Program to provide skilled nursing services on an out-patient basis.
  
Over the next year Wells Nursing Home added 40 more beds, an activities room and terrace, improvements to the on-site laundry and expanded the existing food services area to help ensure the self-sufficiency of Wells Nursing Home.

mrswells.jpg
Mrs. Wells

mrwells.jpg
Mr. Wells